Job Class: Program Specialist Number:
Department: CCTHITA Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, Alaska Covered Position: No
Salary Grade(s): 8 - 9 Prepared by: Andrei Chakine
Hours of Work: 8:00 – 4:30 p.m. Approved by: Edward K. Thomas
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time Effective Date: 24 May 2010
The person serving in this position will spend up to 70% of his/her time writing competitive proposals for
grants and contracts and will spend up to 30% updating Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
publication for Southeast Alaska in collaboration with Tribes and the Southeast Conference; and, delivering
related technical assistance and training.
Reports To: B.E.D. Manager
Liaison To: Southeast Conference, Southeast Tribes
• Seeks and writes competitive proposals for grants to expand services and programs for tribal members
in economic development and business support areas.
• Provides assistance in planning, support, and facilitation of Comprehensive Economic Development
Strategies publication (CEDS). This includes researching, reviewing, amending, and submitting CEDS
• Provides training to Southeast Alaska communities to help Municipalities and Tribes update CEDS and
build planning capacities.
• Conducts research into economic and social factors affecting Southeast Alaska identifying trends,
changes and opportunities that impact the Native population and uses this information to revise and
• Ensures that Native priorities are considered and reflected in CEDS.
• Attends Southeast Conference committee meetings; encourages Tribes to actively participate in
Southeast Conference meetings and events.
• Completes Compact Economic Development and EDA reporting requirements including reports and
applications for continuation of funding. Job Description: Economic Development Specialist,
• Keeps track of program budgets; makes budget modifications as necessary.
• Completes monthly progress reports.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: None
Other Authority: None
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Technical writing
• Public speaking
• Training and consulting
• Understanding of grants and grantwriting
• A working knowledge of economic and social conditions in Southeast Alaska
• Project management
• Working with multiple organizations and individuals
• Analyzing complex information; researching; writing reports
• Understanding of economic development planning processes in a community
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associates Degree in a related field.
• 2 years experience in a related field.
• Valid Drivers License.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or in a related field.
• 1 or more years of grantwriting experience
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring
routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft
or ferry to program sites may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE
• All employment at CCTHITA is “at will”. This means that the employee or CCTHITA may terminate
employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is
expressed or implied for this position
• CCTHITA is a drug/alcohol free workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random
drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• CCTHITA has several positions which require a criminal background check for the safety of our
clients. All employment offers in the “covered” classification are conditional until CCTHITA has
received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.